- Posted by haggerty
- On June 4, 2013
- boca raton, cockroaches, Florida's Gold Coast, integrated pest management, low-toxic controls, pest control professional
Cockroaches have inhabited the Earth for eons. And you can expect them to be around for a few more — a single roach egg sac produces up to 30 new roaches. But that doesn’t mean you have to put up with them in your home.
By knowing the environment that draws cockroaches and being alert for signs of a cockroach infestation, homeowners can team up with a pest control contractor to gain the upper hand on these ancient pests.
Prevention and detection are mostly do-it-yourself projects. Some non-toxic tactics to eliminate small infestations are also effective and available to the homeowner. A comprehensive control strategy for an established infestation, however, is the specialty of a pest control professional with access to the methods and chemicals required to rid the premises of cockroaches and ensure they don’t return.
- Good housekeeping techniques are the front line. Clean up crumbs and spills promptly. Don’t leave pet food out overnight. Tightly seal food stored in the refrigerator.
- Don’t allow leaks or drips to go unrepaired as roaches are drawn to water, too.
- Seal cracks in the structure with caulking and close gaps around doors and windows with weatherstripping.
- Sticky traps may help control small infestations in early stages.
- Vacuuming crevices and other inaccessible areas with a crevice tool may pull roaches out of hiding.
- Lightly spread low-toxic powders like diatomaceous earth or boric acid in suspect areas such as inside wall voids or cracks and crevices. Apply using a hand duster and wearing gloves, a protective mask and eye protection.
The goals of integrated pest management include detection, control and prevention of re-infestations. The plan starts with a thorough inspection including areas generally inaccessible to the do-it-yourselfer. Because roaches have become resistant to many common pesticides, a professional will choose the most current formulations as well as non-pesticide methods to eliminate the infestation and prevent recurrence. Timely follow-up to verify the effectiveness of treatments is also critical.
Haggerty Pest Service is the professional source for south Florida pest control. Contact us for advice and experienced control of cockroaches in your household.
Image via Shutterstock.com