- Posted by haggerty
- On January 8, 2013
- boca raton, fleas and ticks, green pest management, infestations, pest control, South Florida
Fleas and ticks that are a problem in your yard soon become a problem in your house. These very mobile pests quickly make their way into living spaces on pets or humans.
The rapid life cycle of fleas breeds infestations in a very short time frame. Once established inside, fleas and ticks can be even harder to evict as time goes by. Prevention is the first line of defense. Treating the problem ASAP with the assistance of a professional pest control technician is the next step. Here are some strategies to help keep the flea and tick problem from becoming a long-term annoyance in your yard and house.
- Go to the source. Most flea and tick infestations originate with pets. Healthy pets that receive regular care from the pet owner and a veterinarian are less likely to harbor fleas. Pets with low immunity or other chronic health problems can become perpetual hosts for these insects. Shampoo pets regularly with a product designed to repel fleas.
- Ticks that are discovered on pets should be removed with a tick-removing scoop available at pet shops. Alternatively, a cotton ball soaked in dishwashing soap can be applied to the tick to cause it to release. Don’t crush the tick — many carry diseases. Instead, wrap it in toilet paper and flush it down the toilet.
- Vacuum all areas of your home that may receive fleas or flea eggs at least once a week during flea season. Carpets that are known to harbor fleas should be steam-cleaned. After the carpet is dry sprinkle it with borax, an inert substance that kills fleas by desiccation.
- For flea control in the yard, remember that fleas prefer areas that are warm and moist. Remove any dead, decomposing vegetation promptly. If you use a consumer-grade outdoor insecticide, make sure it is safe for use around your pets and your family and that it is applied according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Consult the pest control professionals at Haggerty Pest Service, serving South Florida since 1985, for more alternatives. We’re here to solve your problems with fleas and ticks utilizing the most safe and effective methods.
Image via Shutterstock.com