- Posted by haggerty
- On June 18, 2013
- boca raton, Florida's Gold Coast, mosquito larvae, mosquitoes, pest control professional, South Florida, standing water
The start of the rainy season in May means mosquitoes and other insects get a head start on summer. By now, they’ll be airborne and causing annoyance — and even potentially spreading disease — to homeowners as well as pets.
During the summer, you may find mosquitoes in shrubbery and grass, but that’s not where they breed. The link between the beginning of the rains and the start of insect season is standing water. Many insects, the mosquito species in particular, need standing water to lay and hatch eggs. Most mosquitoes require about one week of uninterrupted access to standing water to lay and hatch a new generation.
In conjunction with the services of a pest control professional, homeowners can do a lot to interrupt this yearly process. It all begins with taking steps to reduce the availability of breeding grounds for insects.
- Empty or drain anything outside that may trap and hold rainwater. Turn over containers that catch rain water, and dispose of old tires, buckets and drums.
- If you have small plastic wading pools, empty them weekly and fill with fresh municipal water.
- Repair plumbing leaks, especially outdoor faucets that drip. Make sure the condensate water from your air conditioner isn’t pooling, particularly in shady areas.
- Repair septic systems that are seeping liquid to the surface.
- Change the bird bath water every week, and empty and refill pet water dishes every day.
A professional pest control service can provide the kind of ongoing treatment required to minimize the impact of adult mosquitoes and other insects on your property this summer. Regular applications of sprays formulated to be friendly to your landscape can eliminate mosquitoes in foliage and shrubbery. The technician will also look for and eliminate any new sources of standing water residents might miss.
The same mosquito treatment plan and schedule will also reduce annoying insects like fleas and ticks outdoors before they become part of your indoor environment.
Haggerty Pest Services has kept south Florida homeowners pest free year-round since 1975. Ask us about seasonal control of mosquitoes and other insects around your home.
Image via Shutterstock.com