- Posted by haggerty
- On November 13, 2013
- boca raton, boynton beach, broward, coconut creek, coral springs, deerfield beach, delray beach, exterminator, exterminators, fall lawn care, highland beach, infestations, insecticides, lauderhill, palm beach, pest control professional
Good lawn and landscape care is season-specific, and fall insects must be controlled just like spring and summer pests. Cooler weather encourages some pests to become more active, while others you may have thought were neutralized make a late season comeback.
Wilting and discoloration of plants may simply be the consequence of a long hot summer—or it may be signs of an autumn infestation. Here are some fall insects to be alert for:
- Cinch bugs still threaten your lawn and may re-hatch in fall despite treatment earlier in the summer or spring. However, as long as temperatures still rise above 80 degrees during the day, remember to only spot treat with insecticide. Consult a pest control professional before attempting a general application to neutralize cinch bugs to avoid damage to your lawn.
- If brown spots in the grass persist into fall despite proper pest control methods, have your lawn tested for the presence of fungus or other disease that may have developed during hot weather and rain of the previous summer.
- Examine fruit trees for the presence of aphids and whiteflies. You’ll need to check the underside of leaves as a casual inspection may often miss signs of an infestation. Sometimes you may notice whiteflies dispersing into the air by disturbing the leaves. Long-lasting control of these pests usually requires systemic insecticides applied by drenching. Ask your pest control provider for an inspection and professional opinion.
- Remove damaged or dead fronds from palms and check for infestations or disease.
Haggerty Pest Services provides all-season home and landscape pest control to Broward and Palm Beach County residents. Contact us for a professional inspection to protect your lawn and garden from the insects of autumn.